Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Welcome to FI Club

The first rule of FI Club is: You do not talk about FI Club.

Yeah, I know. Kind of sucks, doesn't it? I mean, here you are getting your financial house in order, watching money accumulate in your accounts (stealing years of future freedom away from the daily grid) and you can't discuss the overwhelming joy you're feeling.



Don't despair. You're not alone. And, believe me when I tell you, you don't want to talk to others about it. Seriously.

That guy you work with who always complains about not having enough money for X or Y, yet goes out to eat lunch everyday? Yeah, you probably want to point out the obvious reason he doesn't have the money to spend on whatever thing he's complaining about. You're convinced he'll see the error of his ways. The heavens will part and a divine light will shine down on him, causing him to change his ways.

Nope. Sorry. Nope. no. No. NO. NONONO!

Chances are, your advice will come across as derisive or self-righteous. They may nod reassuringly, but I'd be willing to wager that your well-meaning words are simply falling on deaf ears. In a worst-case scenario, you're going to find yourself in an argument. You will be seen as flaunting your success in their face.

It's basically Stockholm Syndrome. So, to avoid any messy altercations like this, it's best to just keep quiet. Unless...

That person actively asks you questions about how they could improve their situation. And, even then, proceed cautiously. Their questions don't necessarily mean they are open to change. After all, if they truly want to turn things around, they'll have to choose to do so on their own. It's a matter of willpower. No matter how much badgering you do, if they don't want to change, your words will just be a hammer you use to beat them over the head.

If, on the other hand, you find yourself unable to hold your tongue, then go ahead. But, I want to warn you; I think you're much better off not talking about it. If you truly must, though, I'd caution you to only do so with someone you can truly trust. I have two very close friends that I can talk to about FI. We don't hold marathon discussions about it, but neither do we end up in arguments or in uncomfortable silence. I can tell they actually listen (and I do when they talk about their FI situation). It's a mutual understanding we have.

If you have a close friend you know you can trust and who is open to the subject, then talk to them about your achievements/concerns. Other than that, I recommend following Rule #1 above.

No comments:

Post a Comment