Wednesday, November 2, 2016

October 2016 Update

Well, I'm a day late with this month's update. To be honest, I was preoccupied with watching television with my wife. We've developed a routine of watching movies and old series every night starting at 7pm. Also, my work schedule has changed so that I no longer have the luxury of working from home, which means I have to get up earlier to drive to work every day. It also means that it takes me longer to get home, thus lengthening my workday. The combination of these things has left me a bit unmotivated to do anything other than relax when I get home. After all, I call myself Lazy FI Guy for a reason. For me, blogging isn't an activity I consider relaxing, but I've made a commitment to document my progress. So, let's get to it, shall we? My net worth this month is...

$71,151

I surpassed the 70k mark, but not by much. This month hasn't been very good as far as gains. I finished out last month with $69, 889, which is a difference of $1,262, so that's not too bad. Again, the screenshot below doesn't reflect my latest 401k contribution. That never shows up in Personal Capital until the Wednesday following payday. I took the screenshot yesterday, which was Tuesday and I always report only what's showing in PC.

I didn't aggressively save this month as I had hoped. Not like the previous months anyway. I've paid for automobile expenses (both maintenance as well as car insurance premiums) in addition to paying my brother so he could pay his rent. (This was an unexpected expense, but I want to point out here that by "paying my brother", I don't mean I just gave him money out of the goodness of my heart. He actually did some work around my house to earn what I paid him, so good on him.)

I think some of my shortcoming this month stems from the change-up at work. This change has demotivated me to perform to my fullest potential at work (more on that in a future post). I noticed that, which getting groceries this month, I splurged twice and bought super colossal shrimp as a treat for myself (yes, I prepare them myself, so I still end up saving money in the long run).

Some good news: I am ahead of the prediction I made earlier this year. I have two spreadsheets of predicted future savings, both implement a different saving strategy. According to both documents, I predicted I would have somewhere in the mid 60k range. A difference of about five thousand dollars.

Here is the screenshot from Personal Capital. It's still up and to the right, so that's good. Let's hope November will be a better month for growing the old net worth.

No comments:

Post a Comment