Sunday, January 1, 2017

December 2016 Update

December has come and gone and, in its wake, put another year in our rearview mirror. December is a month I both dread and love; I love the time off work, spent with family and friends but I hate that it is traditionally a month of higher spending (something I'm trying to curb with some tact). While I don't necessarily predict to save a respectable amount this time of year, I was pleasantly surprised by the outcome. Without further ado, let's get to the matter at hand. Wrapping up the year, my net worth is...

$78,449

At the end of November, my net worth was $74,660. A difference of $3,789. Not bad, but also not just what I contributed. This includes market gains, although the market dipped just before the New Year holiday. Still, according to my spreadsheet, where I track just my contributions without any interest/market gains, I socked away $2,348. That's pretty good in my book.

I probably could've saved a bit more, but I ended November with a balance still on my credit card (which I always try to pay before reporting my net worth) due to an unexpected trip to New York. I paid off that balance shortly after last month's report. (Oh! and I never carry a credit card balance forward. I'm not going to pay any interest if I can avoid it.) So, that was an additional ~$1,000 that could've gone into my investments.

Some expenses I had this month include: buying a few growlers from a new growler station that opened in town ($150; I'm a sucker for nice craft beer. Plus, I know the owner and consider him a good friend, so I wanted to show my support.); the credit card balance I already mentioned; $500 to my son, whose birthday is also this month; a chimney inspection, which cost me $150; and a nice dinner out with my wife ($105; also whose birthday is this month). Did I mention this was a higher spending month for me? With 2 birthdays early on, as well as Christmas, you can see why.

The majority of my monthly savings came from my 401k contributions and then I deposited $500 into my brokerage account. Like I said, I think I did all right despite spending so much.

I'm excited and nervous about what the new year has in store. Excited because my wife and I will be moving to Albany, NY mid-year, but also nervous and apprehensive because I may lose my job next week (details may be coming in a later post, but the red flags are there). I've already started circulating my resume, which I would have to do anyway with the impending move. So, I'm looking for remote development positions. We'll see how everything shakes out.

If you're curious, be sure to check out the annual wrap up for a bigger picture of how my year went. And, if you're reading this, I want to wish you sincere good look and prosperity going into 2017.

December 2016 net worth

No comments:

Post a Comment