Saturday, March 31, 2018

March 2018 Update

Happy Easter weekend! Unlike my couple of previous updates, I'm on time with this post (even a little early since the first falls on the weekend when the market is closed). So without any further ado, let's get to the matter at hand. To wrap up March, my net worth is...



$109,147

At the end of February, I was at $104,120. I'm up by $5,027, which is awesome. What's a little disappointing is the fact that I actually managed to save $5,542 (a negative difference of $515). The reason for this loss is the market drops. Luckily, the market rose slightly before my report, but it wasn't enough to reflect my actual contributions. Still, I'm ahead and that's good.

My prediction for this month was to have a net worth of $106,717 and I've surpassed that by $2,430. The prediction I made for the end of April is to have $109,335 and I'm already pretty much there. Hopefully, this is the turning point where I slowly begin to outpace all my predictions for the year. I really love to perform a recap at the end of the year to see how much "extra" I managed to save because it help me tweak my predictions for next year for more efficiency.

I'm still focusing on building up my HYSAs before focusing on just putting money into my brokerage account. I managed to bring one up to the 7.5k goal, which leaves the other one that actually needs to reach 13k (7.5k plus 5.5k to front load my Roth next year). It's currently at $6,866 so I've got $6,134 until I can transition to my brokerage. I guess that means I'm over the hump as far as replenishing the savings accounts. According to my prediction, I hope to reach this goal by the end of May.

As for spending, I did really well this month; abstaining from any major purchases. The only spontaneous purchase I made was a 4-pack of some very rare beer (about $10 a bottle!) that I don't regret. Everything else I bought was necessities like groceries, gas, the usual things.

An interesting anecdote I want to share:
My wife and I had dinner with one of her colleagues and, at their house, they had a fully restored vintage pinball machine that we had fun playing. The following day, I was reflecting on the pinball machine and searched for them online. I discovered you can purchase these restored machines for as little as $4,995. Of course, they only go up from there. One of my coworkers saw me looking at the website and asked if I was considering purchasing one. I scoffed and said no, that it cost more than my car (which is actually true) and went about my business. However, it's an oddly comforting feeling that, if I wanted to buy one, or a few, I could!

I calculated my actual liquidity from my various savings and investment accounts (money I could access instantly without early withdrawal penalties) just to see how much was at my disposal. The amount was slightly over $62,000. If I wanted to, I could buy about 5 primo pinball machines, each priced at 12,000. To me, that's CRAZY! Ah, but comforting. Now I just need to see how many more hypothetical pinball machines I can buy next month and the next, then next year and the year after.

Here's the screen shot of my finances:
Net worth for March 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment