Sunday, December 30, 2018

December 2018 Update

Merry Christmas! Happy New Year! It looks like I'm a couple days early with this update, but that's okay since the holidays and it being a weekend mean there won't be any market movement. I figured I might as well crunch some numbers, gather my thoughts, and formulate a plan for next year's investments and savings. Without further ado, my net worth at the end of December and to finish out the year is...

$142,429

At the end of November, my net worth was $151,044. A difference of -$8,615. It's disheartening to report a loss, but it means funds are on sale for when I front load my Roth IRA on the 2nd.

Despite the market volatility and my loss, I did manage to save over $2,400 this month. And that's in spite of the holiday of gift-giving! The majority of that savings came from my 401k contributions since I only saved $500 outside of my employer-sponsored retirement account (this isn't reflected in the screen shot below because I initiated it today).

My wife and I just got back into town from a Christmas vacation to see our friends and family in Georgia. During our trip, I exercised my credit card, racking up nearly $750 in charges. From the screen shot, you can see $141 of that balance remaining. I plan to pay that in another day or two. The reason I didn't pay the full amount is because I'm still fleshing out my budget for the last paycheck I received while on vacation. (On vacation, I typically don't pay much attention to my numbers, so...there ya go!)

I spent $1,000 on gifts for my kids. I gave each of them a check for $250. That was all I spent on Christmas gifts.

That's basically it, from a high level perspective, for my finances this month. Not too much to report. December is typically an unimpressive month when it comes to savings, mainly due to the holidays and any vacations during that time.

Once I crunch more numbers and formulate my plan for next year, I'll publish my year-end wrap-up. That'll be much more interesting, I think, as it'll illustrate my total savings for the year, which should be an eye-opener compared to where I started the year. Stay tuned!

Net worth for December 2018. Bring it, 2019!

No comments:

Post a Comment