Saturday, March 2, 2019

February 2019 Update

I've rediscovered an old online RPG game I used to play, so I've been engrossed in leveling up my character instead of obsessing over my financial numbers lately. This is not to say I've neglected my finances and let my spending creep up. Quite the contrary. I've probably spent less because all I've been doing is going to work and coming home where I sit and play. I still cook my meals at home, etc. However, it does mean that I'm not really enthused to create these updates. I'd rather be doing something else. But, I made a commitment to myself to report every month, so let's get to it. At the end of February, my net worth is...

$166,947

January's net worth was $158,497. A difference of $8,450. To be honest, I only contributed $1,250 this past month since we have some membership dues to pay this month to a lodge we belong to. Without a doubt this month's gains are from the market, thankfully. Nevertheless, it's nice to see my net worth up instead of down.

The only big expense I had this month was a bar tab for $170. My wife and I joined some friends at a bar to eat and play darts. I decided to treat them and put everything on my card. However, you'll notice in the accompanying screen shot that I've already paid it off. Just the way I like it.

I'm still focusing on building up my cash accounts. I'm at a combined amount of ~$20,750 and I want to be at 30k, 15k in each account. So I'm roughly $9,250 from my goal before I start focusing on dumping money into my taxable brokerage account.

We haven't started filling out our taxes yet. After hearing that people have taken a hit on taxes, I'm not that excited to get mine done. But I will probably start doing my taxes later today or tomorrow. After all, I did max my retirement accounts last year, so, unlike the consumerists out there who probably didn't save, I shouldn't have anything to worry about. We'll see.

In other news, my job is becoming tedious and more stressful. I don't know what happened, but this past week sucked. Despite my usual work ethic, my boss seems to have pointed his microscope on me and started nitpicking everything little thing I do. Nothing seems good enough. I guess he must be having a hard time in his personal life or something, which is out of my control since I'm his subordinate. Regardless, this has just strengthened my desire to tell them all to fuck off and find some other job where all the work isn't heaped on me.

That's really all I have to report this month. Hopefully things start looking up at work. I dread the thought of running the gauntlet of trying to find another job, even if it means doing so after taking several months to recharge my batteries.

Net worth Feb 2019 (note the annotation for beginning Feb)

No comments:

Post a Comment