Saturday, October 12, 2019

September 2019 Update

Blah, blah, obligatory chatty intro blah. I just wrote the August update because I'm behind. I also have to write one for September since I was lazy and am just now getting around to it. Let's just do this, shall we? My net worth at the end of September was...

$196,338

At the end of August my net worth was $193,548; a difference of $2,790. Most of that was due to my automated 401k contributions. I gifted my wife a total of 10k (the second 5k I paid to her last week, so technically not a part of this update, but I've been working to replenish the 5k I already paid her) and I spent nearly 2k on an impromptu trip to Milan, Italy coming up in November, but the deal was too good to pass up. (Side note: my wife and I took a trip to Edinburgh, Scotland earlier this year and I never would've guessed we'd be returning to Europe the same year. Needless to say, I'm super excited. If I didn't have these cash reserves I never would be able to afford to do this.)

Like I said, most of the savings reported are due to my automated retirement contributions. The market has been up and down due to various reasons.

Other highlights (that I can think of) is my credit score dropped a good bit when I put the European trip on it. However, it went back up to where it was when I paid it off. I'm beginning to look at credit scores as a useless metric as long as you pay off the balance monthly. Such wild swings in score (up to 28 points at a time!) are bullshit.

I can't really think of any other major events that took place this month. I just know I haven't been closely following my numbers as I was previously. I guess I just needed a break. I feel like I'm in catch up mode though (well, technically, I am). I promised my wife I'd help her with her credit card debt (up to 10k anyway) since she helped me when we first met. At the time, I was divorced paying child support, mortgage on the house my ex and children were staying in (little did I know at the time I'd lose the house anyway due to my ex), and then soon becoming unemployed for all of 2009 while still owing child support (yeah, I got way behind on payments). She helped me out during this time, so it's only fair I help her now.

By the way, I don't know if I've said this before but my wife's and my finances are separate. I know there are a lot of people out there that can't wrap their mind around how a married couple can keep separate finances, but we do. When we first met, I made substantially more than my wife. Now, she makes substantially more than me. I know in the eyes of the courts (as far as divorces are concerned) our finances are viewed as one. We don't see it that way and because of that, we don't have any arguments about money. If my wife wants to spend large amounts of money on something, she can do it. After all, she's using her money. Same goes for me. The only stipulation is: we have to pay our fair share of the rent. We buy our own food (yet share it) and are responsible for our own vehicles, etc. It's almost like we're roommates, but closer. Regardless of your views, it works for us and we're both very happy.

That's all I got for this update. I know it wasn't very detailed on expenditures or savings, but that's because there's not much to report. The info is in the numbers, which I'm always transparent about. I'm coming from a position of catching up and then looking forward to pouring money into investments when my HYSAs are back to where I'm comfortable. I think I can still break 200k by the end of the year. We'll see.

September 2019 net worth

No comments:

Post a Comment