Sunday, January 12, 2020

December 2019 Update

Let's skip all the pleasantries and get down to what's important here...the update. At the end of December, my net worth was....
$216,647

At the end of November, my net worth was $208,811; a difference of  $7,836. That looks very impressive and I'm glad for the growth, but this isn't due to aggressive savings, instead it's mostly due to market growth. According to my spreadsheet, I only saved about $290 outside of employer sponsored retirement. Speaking of employer retirement accounts, I only made one contribution in December before I stopped my contributions. I miscalculated a bonus and thought I would overshoot the cap (19k) if I contributed. So I didn't max my 401k. I did get close to the cap though, contributing a total of $18,540.68. I missed out on $459.32. Still, I think I did pretty well.

As far as expenses, December was a month of Christmas gifts and I paid for another international trip (scheduled for March) to Madrid and another international trip (scheduled for May) to Central Italy, which I still owe about a thousand dollars. I sat on most of my cash instead of moving it to savings in preparation for maxing out my Roth IRA at the beginning of the new year.

Aside from paying for the trip to Madrid, I didn't put any other charges on my credit cards and made sure to pay them off asap. I paid for the trips using cash from my HYSA. Originally, at the beginning of 2019, I set a goal to bring my HYSAs to a total of 30k and I reached that. This is why my cash balance is lower that that now. I have a new goal for my cash position in 2020, which I'll cover in the annual wrap up.

At the beginning of 2019, I set a goal to reach 200k. I said anything above and beyond that would simply be icing on the cake. I'm glad to see I surpassed my goal by more that 15k. Since this is the last month of 2019, I'll cover more comparisons and expectations in my yearly wrap up. Let's hope 2020 is a great year for savings and investments. Retirement can't come soon enough!

Net worth for December 2019. Let's see what 2020 has in store.

No comments:

Post a Comment