Saturday, May 4, 2019

April 2019 Update

I'm a few days late with this, but...here we are. I'm finally bringing myself to post my end of month net worth update. At this point, these posts are becoming tedious, but I have to bring myself to do them for posterity's sake. At the end of April, my net worth is...

$173,139

Last month's net worth was $171,713; a difference of $1,426. That seems paltry compared to my previous months. But I have a good explanation for it and you'll be able to see it reflected in my screen shot below because there's a large dip several days into April. Can you guess what might have  caused it? Here's a hint: Uncle Sam.

If you guessed that I owed tax, you're right. Well, it wasn't necessarily just me, but me and my wife's income combined. Our income is considerably more since we both worked full time all year and she's making so much more than she did in Georgia. Even with me maxing my 401k, we still took a tax hit of $8,580. Since I have that in cash, I paid the bill. My wife is going to write me a check because her savings are not to the level of mine. Since taking the screen shot below, I've already deposited $3,400 (all of my bonus check from 5/3) back into my HYSA, but of course, that will be reported officially in next month's report.

According to my spreadsheet, savings for April was negative at -$3,940. This is disheartening to look at but I can take solace in seeing the big strides I've already taken to reverse it by depositing my entire bonus check. I guess I should be extremely happy that I have that kind of cash to tap into such as in the case of paying off an IRS bill without having to make payments and incur interest charges. For that, I'm very fucking happy.

There isn't really a lot more to report for April. Other than, my credit score went up a point or two. I plan to pay down my furniture loan in May so it will go up a few more points. I'm still maintaining a 100% paid-on-time status, which helps. My credit scores are still not above 800, but as you can see, they're getting closer and closer. Up and to the right, that's what I like to see.

I hope to have better numbers to report at the end of May. I'm supposed to collect 3 paychecks and I still haven't budgeted any savings from the first check I received on 5/3, so it appears that the negativity I saw in April may be offset by large gains in May. Time will tell.


Net worth April 2019
Thanks, IRS, for taking a bite outta my ass!
Credit scores via Credit Karma

No comments:

Post a Comment